History of District Kullu - Himachal Pradesh General Studies

In our previous posts, we talked about the History of Kangra, History of Mandi and History of Chamba.

In this post, we discuss about the historical events of district Kullu of Himachal Pradesh.

Kindly point out the mistakes, if any, in the comment section.

Happy Reading!
  • According to the traditional folklore of people, the Kullu valley originally bore the name of ‘Kauntapitha’ means the end of the inhabitable world.
  • Bihangmani Pal is believed to have been founder of Kullu state.
  • Kailash Pal (1428 A.D.) was the last Raja to bore the surname of Pal.
  • Jagat Singh (A.D. 1637-1672) was the most powerful ruler of the dynasty.
  • The idol of Raghunath ji was brought from Ayodhya in 1653 by a Brahmin named ‘Damodar Das’ and installed in Kullu by Raja Jagat Singh.
  • Raja Jagat Singh transferred the capital from Naggar to Sultanpur in A.D. 1660.
  • Hieun Tsang visited Kullu in A.D. 635.
  • Mr. Moorcraft was the first European to visit Kullu on his way back to Ladakh in A.D. 1820.
  • In 1846 A.D., Kullu became the sub-division of Kangra district.
  • Kullu has the distinction of having the oldest democracy in the world in village ‘Malana’.
  • Jagatsukh, Naggar and Sultanpur were the capital of princely state form time to time.

Other important information about District Kullu:
  • Headquarter: Kullu
  • Altitude: 1219 meters
  • Languages spoken: Kullui & Hindi
  • The district is located between 31°58’00” North Altitude and 77°06’4” East Longitude.
  • The only river which originates from district Kullu is Beas.
  • The Mansarovar Lake in olden days was known as Mantilac.
  • The Potato Development Stations in Kullu are at Hamta (Kullu) and Kuna (Anni).
  • The Vegetable Research Station in Kullu is at Katrain. This station is maintained by Indian Agriculture Institute.
  • The Cereal Seed Multiplication Farm is at Sainj, Kullu which is maintained by National Seed Corporation.
  • Pioneer of fruit growing in district Kullu was Capt. R.C.Lee of ‘Bundrole orchard’. He set up an apple orchard in the year 1870 and obtained plants from United Kingdom.
  • Padha Bansi Lal was the first local farmer who planted apples trees in the District Kullu at Seobagh.
  • Sheep breeding farm at Nagwain started in 1963 under Indo-German project.
  • Bed Ram Thakur was the founder of Bhuti Weavers Co-operative society in 1944.
  • In the past, Manali was known as ‘Dana Aghe’.
  • The First Guest House in Manali was Sunshine Guest House managed by Banon family.









Share on Google Plus

Author: Karun Bharmoria

    Blogger Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts