In our previous posts, we talked about History of District Una, History of District Lahaul-Spiti and History of District Solan.
In this post, we discuss briefly about the historical and geographical information of district Hamirpur of the state of Himachal Pradesh.
Kindly point out the mistakes, if any, in the comment section.
History of Hamirpur:
- Hamir Chand (1700 A.D. to 1740 A.D.) is said to be the founder of Hamirpur.
- On 1st September 1972, Hamirpur was created as a separate district.
- Tira Sujanpur was created by Raja Abhay Chand.
- Sujanpur town was first visited by a German, named ‘Traveck’ and then by British traveler named ‘Moorcraft’.
- Mahal Morian fort is in district Hamirpur.
- Combined forces of Raja Ranjit Singh and Raja Sansar Chand defeated Gurkhas in A.D. 1809.
- Jakh dhar lies in the district Hamirpur.
- Palampur Tehsil was created in 1888 A.D.
- Headquarter: Hamirpur
- Altitude: 786 meters
- Languages spoken: Kangri and Hindi
- The district Hamirpur lies between East longitudes 76°18’ to 76°44’ and North latitude 31°52”30’.