Directions (Q. Nos. 1 to 5): Each question below has two blanks. Each blank indicates something that has been omitted. Choose the set of words for each blank which best fits the meaning of the sentence/s as a whole.
1. Ramesh was born………a silver spoon in his mouth and was very ……..of his wealth.
(A) with, proud
(B) by, miser
(C) by, careless
(D) along, delighted
2. If you …….goods into the country, they may be………by the custom authorities.
(A) Import, possessed
(B) Export, punished
(C) Supply, grabbed
(D) Smuggle, confiscated
3. Once Ram…….signed the agreement, he won’t be able to………
(A) Had, back up
(B) Had, back in
(C) Has, back out
(D) Was, back at
4. ……….he is rich……..he is very miserly.
(A) No doubt, lest
(B) So long as, but
(C) Although, yet
(D) Truly, badly
5. After the rain the weather……..and the Sun came………
(A) Cleared out, in
(B) Cleared away, off
(C) Cleared off, in
(D) Cleared up, out
Directions: (Q. Nos. 6 to 10): In each of the following sentences, an idiomatic expression or a proverb is highlighted. Choose the alternative which best describes its use in the sentence.
6. This construction site is very large. Let us take a bird’s eye view.
(A) Experiencing things on the spot.
(B) To seek assistance of a professional
(C) To implement a plan
(D) To have a view from a high place to see a large area
7. The team carried out the mission successfully.
(A) To start
(B) To continue
(C) To accomplish
(D) To stop
8. He promised the teacher he would turn over a new leaf and behave himself in the class.
(A) Bringing a new book
(B) To say sorry
(C) To make a fresh start
(D) To plant a new sapling or seed
9. The speaker was blessed with the gift of gab.
(A) Impressive face
(B) Handsome personality
(C) An honest approach
(D) Having a talent for speaking
10. I am afraid that Ramesh is burning the candle at both ends and ruining his life.
(A) Squandering his money
(B) Losing temper easily
(C) Quarrelling with people
(D) Overtaxing his energies
Directions (Q. Nos. 11 to 13): Choose the word which is most opposite in meaning to the word printed in capitals.
Directions (Q. Nos. 14 &15): Choose the word which is nearest in meaning to the word printed in capitals.
26. The waste generated by end life personal computers is known as …….
(A) PC Waste
(B) Silicon Waste
(D) Computer waste
27. Which of the following is not an Input Unit Device?
(D) Touch Screen
28. The mathematical symbol (symbol of infinity) denotes
(A) Proportional to
(B) Approximately equal to
(D) Identically equal to
29. Choose the odd one out:
30. Bipan Chandra, who died recently was a renowned .........of India.
(A) Director (of films)
(D) Social Worker
31. Whose name amongst the following, is associated with famous Hollywood film “Mrs. Doubtfare”?
(A) Lauren Bacall
(B) Richard Attenborough
(C) Robin Williams
(D) Ben Kingsley
32. Who is the chief of Tehrik-i-Insaaf Party (of Pakistan)?
(A) Mohammad Tahir UI Kadri
(B) Bilawal Bhutto
(C) Nawaz Shareef
(D) Imraan Khan
33. Who amongst the following has not played any role in Hindi movie ‘Happy New Year’?
(A) Shahrukh Khan
(B) Sonu Sood
(C) Vivaan Shah
(D) Randeep Hudda
34. According to recently conducted the Economist Intelligence Unit Poll, .......tops the ranking as the world’s most pleasant city to live in for the fourth year running.
35. The Nobel laureate Sh. Kailash Satyarthi is a well known activist against.........
(B) Child Labour
(C) Obscenity in films
(D) Coal and drug mafia
36. The names ‘Robert E. Kahn’ and ‘Vint Cerf’ are associated with the invention of
(A) Mobile Phone
(D) LED Bulb
37. The highest award bestowed to a sports person in India is
(A) Arjuna Award
(B) Dronacharya Award
(C) Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna
(D) Dhyanchand Award
38. The rise of kerosene oil in wicks of lamps is due to which property of liquids?
(C) Capillary action
39. The filament of an electrical bulb is made out of
40. Retinol is commonly known as Vitamin.........
41. Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana is associated with
(A) The idea of making available 12 gas cylinders in a year to all the consumers.
(B) Opening of bank accounts by every household in India
(C) Expansion of cooperatives societies in India
(D) Expansion of Women Banks.
42. The book “Playing It My Way” is associated with
(A) Kapil Dev
(B) Brian Lara
(C) Sachin Tendulkar
(D) Sunil Gavaskar
43. The name Pankaj Advani is associated with
(C) Snooker & Billiards
44. “Irani Trophy” is associated with
45. The Andhra Pradesh government has recently decided to make ........as an adhoc capital until the needed infrastructure and other projects for the new capital are completed.
46. ISRO( Indian Space Research Organization) is located at
47. “Kathakali” is a classical dance associated with
(B) Tamil Nadu
(C) Andhra Pradesh
48. Who was the first woman Governor of a State in free India?
(A) Sucheta Kriplani
(B) Mrs. Vijay Laxmi Pandit
(C) Sarojini Naidu
(D) Rajkumari Amrit Kaur
49. In August 2011, Tata Motors Launched its low budget Nano car in .........
(A) Sri Lanka
50. Which of the following movies is associated with ‘Richard Lord Attenborough’?
51. ‘Pisciculture’ is associated with
(A) Study of earthquakes
(B) Bee keeping
(C) Study of fish
(D) Study of apes and man
52. Select the related word/letters from the given alternatives:
ACF : GIL: MOR :?
53. “World Red Cross Day” is observed on......every year
(A) 8 March
(B) 8 May
(C) 8 August
(D) 8 October
54. There are ..........number of Union Territories in India.
55. “Buenos Aires” is the capital of
56. The name “Bashar-al-Assad’ is the President of
57. As per latest data released by the Central Statistics Office in September 2014, ........emerges as the fastest growing State.
(D) Tamil Nadu
58. ...........is also famous as “City of Nawabs”.
59. There are......member nations of United Nations Organization (UNO).
60. “Yellow Revolution” is associated with
(A) Mango Production
(B) Banana Production
(C) Potato Production
(D) Oilseeds Production
61. Famous English author Ruskin Bond was born at
62. The nature of Deepu Sharma of H.P. is associated with
(B) Ice Skating
63. Areawise,………… is the largest district of Himachal Pradesh
64. “Bhrigu Lake is located in the district of
(A) Lahaul & Spiti
65. “Arikari” is the Vedic name of river.........
66. The book “Kangra Paintings” was written by
(A) Shanta Kumar
(B) Sardar Sobha Singh
(C) M.S. Randhawa
(D) Rahul Sanskritayan
67. Susharma Chandra was the ruler of
68. “Shoolini Fair” is associated with
69. Chhatradi of Distt. Chamba is famous for this temple:
(A) Chamunda Devi
(B) Hari Rai
(C) Laxmi Narayan
(D) Shakti Devi
70. Which of the following places is famous for Angora breeding?
(A) Jeori, Shimla
(B) Taal, Hamirpur
(C) Chidgaon, Rohru
(D) Nagwai, Mandi
71. Larji Hydroelectricity Project has the capacity of ......MW.
72. Which of the following places/towns, was earlier known as “Dhameri”?
73. Historical “Shimla Agreement” between India and Pakistan was signed in the year.........
74. There is Mountaineering Institute at
75. Dhami Firing incident took place in the year
76. On 25 January 1971, Himachal Pradesh became the ...........State of the Indian Union.
77. Which of the following districts of Himachal Pradesh has the highest density of population?
78. Who among the following became the first Chief Justice of Himachal Pradesh High Court in 1971?
(A) Justice C.B. Kapoor
(B) Justice A.N. Ray
(C) Justice Hameedullah Beg
(D) Justice V.K. Gupta
79. “Jhanjhar” is a famous dance of
80. The name of Guru Padamsambhava is associated with the lake......
81. Which of the following Vedas, is associated with Charms and spells toward off evils and diseases?
82. “Indica” was a famous book written by
(A) Ibn Batuta
(D) Alexander the Great
83. Who amongst the following refused his knighthood after the Jallianwala Bagh Massacre?
(A) Pt. J.L. Nehru
(B) Mahatma Gandhi
(C) Rabindranath Tagore
(D) Lala Lajpat Rai
84. Who introduced “Mansabdari System” to organize nobility and army?
85. Who raised the slogan- “Swaraj is my birthright and I shall have it”?
(A) Rabindranath Tagore
(B) Subhash Chandra Bose
(C) Bal Gangadhar Tilak
(D) Lala Lajpat Rai
86. Whose name is associated with Aligarh Movement (1875)?
(A) Maulana Abul Kalam Azad
(B) Hakim Ajmal Khan
(C) Mohammad Ali Jinnah
(D) Sir Syed Ahmed Khan
87. “Statue of Liberty” is located in
88. The full form of HAL is
(A) Heavy Aeronautics Limited
(B) Heavy Aeronautics Loads
(C) Hindustan Aviation Limited
(D) Hindustan Aeronautics Limited
89. Kharif crop is sown in
90. Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose International Airport is located at
(B) New Delhi
91. To which category right to vote belongs?
(A) Human Rights
(B) Civil Rights
(C) Natural Rights
(D) Political Rights
92. How many members are nominated by the President to Rajya Sabha?
93. The ideas of Five Year Plan and Fundamental Duties have been taken from ........by the Indian Constitution.
(B) Erstwhile USSR
94. The ore of Aluminum metal is
95. The gas used to extinguish fire is
(B) Carbon dioxide
(C) Carbon Monoxide
96. The depletion of Ozone layer is mainly due to
(A) Volcanic eruptions
(B) Radioactive rays
(C) Aviation Fuels
97. “Night blindness” is caused due to deficiency of Vitamin..........
98. As per Census 2011, the literacy rate in India is.....
99. ........... is a direct tax.
(A) Income Tax
(B) Sales Tax
(C) Excise Duties
(D) Insurance Premium Tax
100. Car model “Zest” belongs to.......... car manufacturing company.
(D) Maruti Suzuki
Note: Few Questions are missing in this paper.
Read more: Election Kanungo Paper 2014