1. Which substance is commonly used in refrigerators?
d) Sulphur dioxide
2. Heavy rainfall affects soil by
a) Increasing its acidity
b) Increasing its alkalinity
c) Reducing its fertility
d) None of these
3. Consider the following statements. Which one is/are correct?
1. Vulcanization is done to treat rubber or rubber like materials with sulphur at great heat to improve elasticity and strength or to harden them.
2. Triglyceride in a fat whose high levels in one very important cause of heart disease
a) 1 only
b) 2 only
c) Both 1 and 2
d) Neither 1 nor 2
4. In a hydraulic device as shown in the figure how much weight should be put on the piston A to balance the level of water when a weight of 40 gm is put on the piston B ?
a) 10 g
b) 5 g
c) 20 g
d) 40 g
5. There are mice in the field which act as prey to snakes. Hawks eat the snakes. Some dogs are brought into the field? What will be its effect?
a) Mice will decrease
b) Hawks will decrease
c) Snakes will increase
d) Mice and snakes will decrease
6. TNT (Trinitrotoluine) is
a) A variant of DDT
b) A chemical used in perfumes
c) A chemical used to make explosive
d) A variant of plaster of paris
7. What is the function of a fuse wire?
a) To prevent an unduly high electric current from passing through a circuit
b) To increase the current supply
c) To decrease the current supply
d) To stabilise the voltage
8. Which of the following is incorrect?
1. For a young adult with normal vision the power of accommodation of the eye is about 4 dioptres
2. Rods and cones are in the cornea
3. Far point of the eye concept is related to those who can’t see beyond 25 cm
4. The cones are sensitive to green and red light only
a) 1, 2 and 3
b) 2, 3 and 4
c) 1, 3 and 4
d) 1, 2, 3 and 4
9. Rickets is caused due to
a) Deficiency of Vitamin A
b) Deficiency of Vitamin D
c) Deficiency of Vitamin C
d) Low intake of proteins
10. Identical twins are born when
a) Two sperms fertilize one ovum
b) Two sperms fertilize two ovums simultaneously
c) One sperm fertilizes the ovum and zygote divides into two separate cells developing independently
d) One sperm fertilizes two ovums
Answers: 1-a, 2-c, 3-c, 4-a, 5-d, 6-c, 7-a, 8-b, 9-b, 10-c.
Read more: HPAS Prelims Quiz-4 (General Science)